Our client is one of the largest integrated development, design and construction firms in Western Canada, providing solutions to clients in the Industrial, Institutional, Building Renewal, Commercial, Retail and Residential sectors.
They are looking for an intermediate to senior estimator.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
As an Estimator, your key responsibilities will be to work closely with the development, design, and construction teams to ensure proactive constructability, costing and profitability of projects. You will proactively manage the estimate process, estimate, and trade tendering strategies and contacts and assist our in-house design and construction teams by providing cost information during all stages of the project.
- Understand and collaborate to establish unit costs, labour rates, productivity factors and location impacts with the estimating team
- Prepare quantity take-offs and estimates, including preparation of estimates for conceptual designs
- Review and compare estimates of construction costs through all estimating phases to prior estimates for variances and changes. Adjust future estimates to reflect actual costs through design processes
- Conduct materials and pricing research
- Assist in maintaining preferred vendor, supplier, trade and estimating databases
- Identify at risk trades and work with design and construction teams to understand project performance and capability post projects
- Compile information from development and design teams to create complete trade bid packages, as well as collaborate with and lead construction team tenders
- Create scope of works for bid packages and socialize with teams
- Create tender document packages and manage tender issue and budget information for issue
- Advise project directors and design managers of changes in the trade bid schedule
- Manage trade bid packages including production/compiling of addendums
- Analyze and produce trade recommendations
- Be involved with the construction team during trade negotiations
- Create budgets, including order of magnitudes and Class D to A
- Identify and manage cost savings necessary to ensure budgets are controlled
- Work with design team, trades and suppliers to assist in budgeting
- Create preliminary schedules
- Present budgets and conduct review meetings with internal and external clients
- Track design changes with associated pricing feedback throughout lifecycle of budgeting
- Assemble general conditions and general requirements budgets, to be presented to project team stakeholders
- Report on building statistics and revisions to statistics through the lifecycle of the design
WHO YOU ARE
You appreciate the effectiveness of an integrated delivery team and seek to understand how best to leverage the talents of the collective team.
You are dynamic and collaborative and understand the role to be one of leadership and customer service for both internal and external stakeholders.
You value technology as a tool to enhance efficiency and accuracy.
You are receptive and adaptive to feedback and pushback when approaches or timelines change.
You are proactive, quick thinking and take initiative; you see something that needs doing and you get it done right.
You are able to juggle multiple and diverse responsibilities with a strong emphasis on organization and unwavering attention to detail.
You are comfortable working in a fast paced environment and are able to make quick, well informed decisions.
You share information openly and proactively; you are concise and articulate in your speech and writing.
You are able to see beyond immediate specs, summarize requirements and architect forward thinking solutions; you are able to see how small project components fit into the big picture.
You have strong communication skills and are able to effectively communicate risks, changes and project information into simple, actionable recommendations at all levels.
- 3 to 5 years working in the construction industry in a similar role
- Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma in Construction, Project Management or related field
- Experience and knowledge of various types of construction, including tenant improvements, light industrial, commercial and residential
- Advanced Excel, MS Project and Quantity Take Off software skills to prepare budgets and schedule
- Ability to learn and use where necessary BIM 360 suite of software relating to your estimating responsibilities and DESTINI software
- An understanding of various building types, traditional subcontractor work scopes,. construction systems and methods, construction specifications, tendering practices and contract types
- Strong analytical, mathematical and spatial thinking necessary to do material and labour estimates and interpret job cost reports
- Proven ability to read and interpret building specifications and drawings
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.